Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Kaufmann House







I'm not big on minimalism but I love the Kaufmann House that was designed by Richard Neutra for Edgar J Kaufmann Sr, a department store magnate, in 1946. Kaufmann commissioned the house as a Palm Spring desert retreat to escape the winters. The house is often cited as one of America's best examples of mid-century modernist architecture and has featured in movies, magazines and advertising campaigns such as J Crews which you can see in image 4. What I love about this house is that even though it is minimalist in its design, there is still a warmth to it.


2 comments:

Monica & Lucy said...

My mumzy & dad lived in a Richard Neutra house. We have a book on him. :)

Evie and Bluebell said...

I didn't know that Lucy. Do they have some photos I could post. It was in L.A. I gather?